8 months ago
Job Title: Business Unit Director – Utilities
Location: London or Reading
Salary: £Up to £89,000 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Permanent| Full Time Hours | 37 hours per week
Reporting into the Managing Director of Utilities, you’ll enable SSE Enterprise Utilities to achieve its vision of profitable growth through managing robust ways of working across matrixed cross functional businesses.
You’ll be a key influencing figure in the leadership team leveraging resources efficiently to drive continued rapid revenue growth, build and grow relationships with new and existing customers, and meet annual revenue and sales targets on a quarterly and annual basis that align with the company’s objectives and sales sector strategy.
As Utilities Business Unit Director, you’ll have full responsibility for the delivery of the business objectives within the relevant sector – Private Networks - and will be highly effective in driving action.
Your key accountabilities will broadly revolve around Health and Safety; Strategic Sales Planning, Management and Control; Leadership and Direction; Financial and Budget Management; Relationship Management and Reporting.
More specifically, this involves:
- Responsibility for delivering targets in a matrix organisation
- Capable of £100 million plus deals and delivery
- Meeting Capex requirements
- Investment modelling
- Signing off for contract prices offered to customers within pre - agreed authority levels
- Making recommendations for approval for high value contracts
- Making recommendations on which opportunities the business unit should consider and how this links to the strategic objectives
Your Skills and Experience:
- Degree qualified and a track record of operating effectively at executive level
- Background in the HV market, knowledge of key private network sectors (likely including government, telecoms, MoD, water, industrials, ports, airports), knowledge of and network in private electrical networks
- Demonstrable experience within the Utilities industry/ business development/ energy industry experience and knowledge of the public and private sectors
- Robust track record in business development, background in B2B sales and delivery with particular emphasis on large enterprise negotiations - demonstrable capability of £100 million plus deals and delivery
- Previous M&A experience
- Proven ability to develop and maintain an effect network of contacts
- Proven capability to effectively communicate the value proposition while maintaining a deep understanding of the product
- Understanding of the challenges and intricacies of operating successfully within a matrix management structure
- Sound financial and commercial acumen to manage the development and/or delivery of budget plans
- Ability to close complex solution deals involving multiple stakeholders
- Strategy planning with the ability to undertake economic impact assessments
- Understanding of the contractor / sub-contractor relationship combined with experience of developing long term relations with supplier/partners
- Strong leadership skills and leading teams and giving guidance to other specialist roles
- Proven experience of formulating and implementing sales strategies
- Compliance – using comprehensive knowledge and skills to act independently while guiding and training others on achieving full compliance with applicable rules and regulations
- Able to promote and engage on safety at all levels to instil a high performing safety culture
The Enterprise Division comprises four companies: Contracting, Rail, Telecoms and Utilities. The SSE Enterprise Projects and Operational Support Team support the entire Enterprise division leading the deployment of best practice in assurance, project management, engineering and in handling strategic projects.
SSE Enterprise Utilities deliver multi-utility infrastructure and distributed energy networks for large scale developments across the UK, offering market leading solutions for our customers’ electricity, gas, water and heat needs. We can bring significant investment, providing a range of funding and asset management options for utility infrastructure projects.
With more than 22,000 employees working over 242 locations, we strive to be a great place to work for everyone. In addition to a competitive salary, you’ll automatically be enrolled in into our Group Pension Plan and have the opportunity to join our Share plans. You’ll enjoy a generous annual leave entitlement of 34 days (inclusive of public holidays), with the option to buy up to 10 extra days. Each employee is also entitled to one day paid volunteering, allowing you to dedicate your time, skills and expertise to your local community or a charitable cause as part of our “Be the Difference” scheme.
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn’t take long.
Closing date for applications is: Wednesday 23rd May, 2018
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you’re internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you’re successful, we’ll conduct some pre-employment checks.