about 1 year ago
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading energy and environmental consultancy with expertise in renewable energy, energy efficiency, climate change, resource efficiency and waste management, water resource management, sustainable transport, air quality, and chemical risk.
Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our clients to help resolve the world’s most complex environmental challenges, and realise economic opportunities from the sustainability agenda. We work with governments, public bodies and businesses to help them with their policy, investment, and operational decisions, and with practical implementation. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
This role as Commercial & Contracts Manager is responsible to the Finance Director for the commercial and risk management function within Ricardo Energy & Environment, for both sales and procurement contracts. The successful candidate will lead an experienced team of 8 commercial and contract professionals, responsible for agreeing the commercial aspects of projects and opportunities with the aim of maximising the opportunity while achieving an appropriate risk balance.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the exciting opportunity to support a range of interesting and diverse technical disciplines ranging from Air Quality to Water, Energy and electrification to Climate Change, Waste to Chemical Risk and to contribute to the development of the commercial strategy of a business that is rapidly expanding its UK and International profile. Good management of its commercial activities is at the heart of any business and this role will give you the opportunity to use your skills to play a key role in the growth of this exciting business.
Manage and provide leadership to a team of commercial and contract risk professionals who act as integral members of proposal teams exercising a high degree of judgement in providing advice in the preparation of expressions of interest, tender submissions and other proposals to a wide range of customers in the following sectors:
1. UK Government and Local Authorities
2. Private sector businesses
3. European Commission
4. European and world wide donor agencies.
5. Rest of World Governments in territories such as the Middle East, Turkey, India, South Africa and China
* Ensure the commercial arrangements of all sales and procurement contracts (supporting projects ranging from £5K to £million) achieve an appropriate risk/reward balance
* Review the commercial aspects of Expressions of Interest and Invitations to Tender
* Review, draft and negotiate sales and all sales related contracts eg non-disclosure, intellectual property and software licences, memoranda of understanding, collaboration/partnership, sales representative and distributor agreements
* Responsible for all aspects of contract management throughout the proposal and contract/project life-cycle through to project completion
* Significant input to the commercial/contractual (including intellectual property) strategy to be adopted for new business development opportunities - both service and product based
* Liaise directly with senior management, both internally and with customer organisations on a wide variety of commercial matters
* Ensure commercial business risks are managed within the company’s Professional Indemnity Insurance and liaising with the Ricardo Group Insurance/Risk Manager as needed
* Provide a centre of excellence in commercial and contract management and best practice
* Drive best practice/continuous improvement initiatives within the commercial/contracts function
* Provide mentoring, coaching, training and development to team members
* Design and participate in the provision of commercial skills/risk management training to delivery staff on a wide range of commercial issues including management of intellectual property, liability, risk mitigation and insurance, data protection etc.
* Contribute to internal guidance and policy documentation on contractual and commercial issues
Key competencies and experience:
* The ideal candidate will have wide experience of commercial contract management, with proven ability to work with a high degree of independence
* A sound working knowledge of commercial contract law and of current developments in related legislation
* Ability to manage challenging contracting arrangements, both with customers, partners and subcontractors
* Experience of supporting product and software development opportunities
* Experience/knowledge of international contracting
* A good appreciation of professional indemnity insurance
* Team leadership and mentoring/coaching skills
* Able to influence at senior level, to ensure optimum commercial outcomes across the business (ie without having direct line management responsibilities for the delivery teams)
* Ability to determine and implement commercial and contracting best practice
* Ability to manage, analyse and implement improvements based on contract management performance statistics
* Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
* High levels of written, negotiation, and problem solving skills
Skills and behaviours:
This is a highly pro-active role, requiring not only excellent technical knowledge, but also sound leadership skills and the ability to work with confidence at all levels within the company. The successful candidate will have a commercial contract management or legal background, plus an excellent understanding of financial practice and experience operating in a commercial and contract management role. People engagement skills will be key, both with respect to internal colleagues and with respect to our clients’ senior technical and procurement contacts.
A degree or equivalent qualification in law or a business related subject would be an advantage, as would IACCM Membership/Certification and/or CIPS.
You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within the Ricardo Group, where there is also a team of legal counsel who are available to provide legal support and advice as required.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.