3 months ago
Job Title: Design Engineer – Submarine Cables
Location: Inverness, Perth, Aberdeen or Glasgow
Salary: £39,413 – £52,055 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance
Permanent| Full Time Hours | 37 hours per week
Working within the submarine electricity cables team, you will be responsible for managing the engineering design for our submarine cabling projects. Our projects will consist of the inspection of existing submarine cables, the survey, design and installation of replacement submarine cables, maintenance and repairs and the decommissioning of existing submarine cables. You will be responsible for managing the preliminary route identification and route assessment stage, through to the development and completion of the detailed design and route engineering for cable installation.
Safety is paramount to everything we do. You will be responsible for the preparation and coordination of pre-construction information and engage with contractors during the design and delivery phases of the project. You will carry out continual design risk assessments and design risk reviews to support this.
You will also support the submarine electricity cables team by providing engineering or technical guidance relating to the project designs. You will be required to consider stakeholder views within the design development phase of the projects and be responsible for communicating with and developing internal and external relationships.
Your Skills and Experience
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience (Electrical engineering preferable).
- Knowledge of submarine cable design and construction up to 33kV.
- Experience of preparing and managing project tender packages for survey operations, cable installations, inspection of existing cables and cable decommissioning. This includes responding to technical engineering clarifications and evaluation of tender submissions.
- Experience of submarine cable route design, carrying out route engineering analysis and specifying methods of cable installation, burial and protection based on survey data.
- Knowledge of submarine cable installation, both in deep and shallow waters, and aspects that may affect the cable integrity during installation and operation.
- Experience of submarine cable landfall and onshore cable routeing assessment for subsequent connection of the submarine cable to the distribution network.
- Knowledge of the operation of the electrical distribution network.
- Experience of managing projects under New Engineering Contracts.
- Knowledge and application of the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015.
- Experience of preparing pre-construction information, carrying out design risk assessments and design risk reviews.
- Ability to provide technical support to the submarine cable design manager, team colleagues, internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of considering stakeholder views within the design development.
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Fifty-Nine Scottish islands are currently connected to the electricity network that serves mainland Great Britain by the Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution's submarine electricity cables. There are 112 submarine electricity cables totalling over 450 km - with some cables having been in place for over 50 years.
A number of our submarine electricity cable assets are nearing the end of their operational and economical life. This means that we are embarking on a significant programme of investment to ensure that we continue to provide a safe, reliable, secure supply of electricity to the Islands who depend on them.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here’s a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn’t take long.
Closing date for applications is: Wednesday 22nd August 2018
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you’re internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you’re successful, we’ll conduct some pre-employment checks.