6 months ago
Energy Consultant (SHE000044)
: United Kingdom-South Yorkshire-Sheffield
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Established in 1946, Arup’s unique structure, with the firm held in trust on behalf of its employees gives us complete independence. Our aim is to achieve excellence in all we do by bringing together the best professionals in the world to meet our clients’ needs.
Sheffield was the first Arup office to be established outside of London. We have been involved in making a positive impact on the local economy for over 60 years, with an outstanding portfolio of high profile projects across the region, as well as supporting a large number of national and international projects. Sheffield was also first Arup office to establish a distributed energy team.
The Northwest and Yorkshire sub-region employs over 500 people in a multitude of different disciplines with approximately 10% of these being employed within consulting such as planning, acoustics and energy. Energy consulting is a growing market within Arup and this region with staff numbers expected to increase by 30% in the next 2 years.
We have a new opportunity for an Energy Consultant with experience in either electrical or mechanical engineering to join our growing team of engineering consultants within the Sheffield office.
You will work on a wide variety of projects including energy distribution, district heating/cooling and renewable energy (biomass, wind and photovoltaic) for a range of clients including local authorities, developers, education establishments, airports and hospitals. Examples of recent projects include biomass community heating at Derwenthorpe in York, a large award-winning housing scheme, field scale photovoltaic schemes on a number of regional airports at various stages of development, and a combined heat and power (CHP) plant for glass houses involving the capture of CO2 from the CHP back into the glass houses.
The role will include:
Concept and Feasibility Study
· Initiating and developing the concept design and delivery of on-site power generation and distribution systems, including selection and sizing of plant, developing designs and scheme layouts, costing of solutions and quantifying performance.
· Emphasis on energy generating plant and supporting systems including Industrial and Commercial scale CHP, Solar Photovoltaic (Building and Commercial Field Scale), Combined Cycle Gas Turbines (CCGT), Biomass (Thermal and CHP), Energy from waste, Wind Power.
· Developing business cases for energy investments from initial concept through to financial close.
· Identifying and assessing funding options for energy projects and investments.
· Developing and implementing carbon and energy reduction strategies for estates or portfolio of sites.
Design and Procurement
· Developing designs for energy schemes and systems including development of design drawings, technical specifications and invitation to tender packages.
· Evaluation of tender returns (technical and commercial) from contractors to identify value for money.
· Integration of thermal and electrical energy generation and distribution infrastructure into building developments.
· Helping to support investors and developers of energy schemes and infrastructure projects to financial close.
· Commercial evaluation and appraisal of a variety of energy systems and schemes.
· Financial and technical analysis of energy projects to maximise value for clients.
Construction, Commissioning and Operation
· Sampling of site works during construction, testing and commissioning.
· Supporting others in monitoring the quality of construction in-line with technical specifications, employer’s requirements and industry standards.
· Observing site works ensuring that the project program is being maintained.
· Evaluating the performance and operation of energy schemes.
· Surveying and evaluating existing buildings and energy systems and schemes.
· Producing high quality reports and presentations in clear English.
· Help to develop the production of drawings, reports and specifications.
· Providing technical guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
· Designing district scale energy systems and downstream roles such as Procurement Advisor and Technical Advisor/ Owner’s Engineer.
· Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis of Energy Data and Trends.
· Support in the development of projects including energy infrastructure feasibility studies and portfolio or area energy strategies.
· Experience of Energy Master planning at an estate, city, regional and national scale.
· Advising public and private sector clients on options, risk and appropriate actions to make choices and mitigate risk.
· Research into innovative low carbon energy systems and other topics related to energy, cities, resilience and climate change
· Degree qualified engineer in a relevant discipline.
· Working towards corporate membership and Chartered Engineer status via an appropriate professional institution such as the Energy Institute, the Chartered Institution of Building Service Engineers, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers or the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
· Experience working in the energy sector.
· Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is essential.
· Good communication skills (both written and oral).
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
· Knowledge and experience of energy centre and infrastructure design, such as district heating, power generation, CHP renewables.
· Knowledge of energy procurement (Tender Package Development, Employers Requirements, Technical Specifications).
· Knowledge of energy system operations and maintenance.
· Developing knowledge in the renewable energy field (solar photovoltaic, biomass, wind power)
· Experience of spreadsheet modelling of heat and mass balance, energy systems business case investments and infrastructure replacement.
· Up-to date knowledge of developments and trends in the energy sector.
· Experience in developing business cases for energy investments and infrastructure refurbishments.
· Knowledge of current UK energy markets and regulations, such as Part L, the Feed-in tariff, RHI, Contracts for Difference
· Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges.
· Commercial awareness and an interest in economics as well as engineering.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Posting Date: 25/04/2018
Closing Date: 23/05/2018