5 months ago
Built on an ethos of Legal Compliance, Pollution Prevention and Continual Improvement, Siemens Energy Management team are responsible for ensuring all aspects of the organisations activities operate within agreed environmental parameters.
Reporting to the Head of EHS, the Environmental Specialist will be carrying out independent audit programs and assessments on procedures and systems to ensure that the company remains environmentally robust, sustainable and legally compliant when undertaking work activities. The role also involves proactive incident prevention via the planning and execution of initiatives contained in the Environmental Improvement Plan and maintaining robust environmental practices and procedures across multiple project and customer sites.
What are my responsibilities?
- Ensure that construction projects comply with environmental regulations and achieve the environmental targets set by the business and customer, liaising with site teams, the client and stakeholders.
- Help maintain company certification; ISO 14001, 18001, and 9001, keeping up to date with UK, EU and international regulation and legislation.
- Developing and implementing environmental management systems to continually improve the impact of the organisation on the environment.
- Supporting project specific Project Managers, Lead Engineers and customer site based teams on all environmental aspects of project delivery
- Reduce environmental incidents - Supporting Siemens EHS Zero Harm
- Protect the Environment and Assets relating to individual projects
- Promote awareness and knowledge of the importance of managing the environment
- Improve contractors management arrangements of the environment
- Assurance of applicable environmental regulation compliance across the business
- Contribute to a comprehensive audit programme, including customer/project sites specific
- Ensure incidents are managed to conclusion in line with incident response procedures
- Provide on-going specialist support and SMART management plans and advice to the business on environmental issues
- Facilitate improvements in management systems & ensure effective environmental practices are deployed and implemented
- In conjunction with the Siemens EHS team carry out regular compliance related audits across project customer sites
- Facilitate business performance improvements in relation to environmental management
- Enhance business and external reporting systems with appropriate KPI's
- Work with EHS team, operational managers, engineers and customer site based teams to conduct joint review of environmental trends and issues
- Vetting and checking of suppliers, partners and contractors on all environmental and sustainability aspects
- Coordinate/conduct ecological surveys for individual customer substation projects as required and propose/implement appropriate management plans
- Liaise with local councils, communities and agencies representatives, where required, on all matters relating to the environment
- Conduct investigations, compile reports and actions and ensure close out for environmental related incidents
- Help promote the use of environmentally friendly products and use of sustainability companies
- Assist with coordination and implementation of site/substation specific surveys to identify any inherent and potentially harmful products that may impact on the environment, such as; asbestos, oils etc
- Work with Siemens Temporary Works Coordinator and project delivery teams to ensure safe and environmentally friendly/compliant on all aspects of temporary works including demolition and construction
- Input and participation in Design HAZID/HAZOP - environmental element
- Compliance with CDM15
- Support Site Engineers and Construction Team(s) throughout the works and attend site meeting as required
- Provide support and advice on environmental risk potential and mitigation
What do I need to qualify for the role?
- Demonstrable EHS experience in construction, transmission or power projects
- Experience working on Transmission Substation Projects is ideal but not essential
- You will hold an environmental qualification such as an HND or Degree
- It would be desirable for you to be an IEMA accredited environmental auditor and have a working knowledge of ISO 14001:2004 management system including procedure design and development.
- Engineering awareness is preferable
- Knowledge of UK T&D Customer Networks working procedures
- Demonstrable experience in meeting deadlines & working effectively under pressure
- Demonstrates good self motivation and time management
- Ability to draft and prepare formal reports and work with data at a detailed and strategic level
- Communicate at senior manager level and present internally and externally to large groups
- Able to plan and execute business specific projects
- Knowledge to create and support environmental policy and procedural changes
- Ability to use a range of software to derive environmental data from company systems
- Enhanced skills on Microsoft software; especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Understanding of HSE legislation applicable to the various business operations and application of personal competence to resolve environmental related topics
- Capability to make assessments on investigation material; operational interpretation of legislation, procedures and resolution of anomalies
- WAMITAB certification and previous experience of the electricity industry, specifically in relation to incident response and management, would be advantageous.
Siemens provides innovative solutions to help tackle the UK's major challenges. Siemens has a significant presence throughout the UK, with 13 manufacturing sites and more than 25 major offices. Today the company employs over 13,760 people in the UK, including about 5,000 in the manufacturing sector. Last year's revenues were 3.36 billion. Electrification, automation and digitalization are the long-term growth fields of Siemens. In order to take full advantage of the market potential in these fields, our businesses are bundled into nine divisions and healthcare as a separately managed business.
Siemens offers a comprehensive reward package which includes a competitive basic salary, bonus scheme, generous holiday allowance and pension. Through our flexible benefits scheme you can select benefits that best suit your lifestyle, including private healthcare.
How do I apply?
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity, and we welcome applications that reflect the diversity of the communities within which we work.
If you are appointed in to this role you will receive standard Siemens terms, conditions and benefits.