27 days ago
Salary: £51,100 - £77,300 + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Permanent | Full Time Hours with flexible working patterns available | 37 hours per week
The National HVDC Centre has a unique opportunity for the HVDC Chief Engineer of this world-class facility, managing a team of Simulation Engineers undertaking detailed HVDC simulation studies in real-time using vendor-supplied replica hardware.
You’ll be leading all technical work as well as leading the development of the Centre into the future. The successful candidate is expected to be an industry-recognised HVDC expert, working on real HVDC schemes for Transmission Owners/Operators or HVDC system suppliers.
The role requires the HVDC Chief Engineer to engage with stakeholders to understand and advise on their projects, manage the delivery of studies, manage the team of Simulation Engineers (providing coaching and technical oversight), oversee the studies and research, act as technical approver, and take the lead role in the development of the Centre and delivery of training courses.
Your Skills and Experience
You will have;
- Detailed knowledge and expertise in HVDC Transmission and real time simulation.
- Educated to Degree or PhD level in a relevant area.
- Experience working in the Energy sector on HVDC electrical power systems.
- Experience working with HVDC system suppliers and with Transmission Owners/Operators.
- Proven ability to manage teams.
- Personal credibility in HVDC.
- Expert knowledge of LCC and VSC HVDC technologies and their integration into AC systems.
- Experience of performing system integration studies and transmission planning studies using both RMS and EMT tools.
- Knowledge of grid codes and transmission planning standards.
- Real-time modelling and simulation using industry leading platforms such as those supplied by RTDS® or Opal-RT.
- Knowledge of multi-terminal HVDC scheme principles and modelling.
- Experience developing models for FACTS devices and wind turbines.
- Programming and scripting skills using Python, C/C++ and Fortran.
- Experience of working with HVDC control system hardware.
Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission (SHE Transmission) operates this new Centre on behalf of all GB Transmission Licensees. SHE Transmission is the transmission owner responsible for the North of Scotland transmission network from 132kV to 400kV. SHE Transmission has recently commissioned the Caithness-Moray HVDC scheme and has ambitious plans for future HVDC schemes (including Multi-Terminal schemes). The National HVDC Centre is set-up to support all HVDC schemes connecting to the GB Network and beyond, in order to facilitate the integration and operation of the increasing number of HVDC schemes.
SHE Transmission is part of Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN); our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here’s a few highlights:
Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays);
Great share plans;
Group Pension Plan;
One day paid volunteering;
Tailored internal development opportunities.
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn’t take long.
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 17th March 2019
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you’re internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you’re successful, we’ll conduct some pre-employment checks.