7 months ago
Senior Civil Engineer - International Development (LON0000GC)
: United Kingdom-London-London
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Arup’s International Development team works exclusively with organisations committed to improving social well-being and reducing vulnerability in developing countries. The current focus areas include: urban resilience, post-disaster reconstruction, education and health infrastructure, water and sanitation, renewable energy and low-income housing/shelter. We operate on a not-for-profit basis, harnessing Arup’ skills and networks to provide technical expertise and practical solutions which address critical challenges posed by urbanisation, poverty, climate change and natural disasters.
We have a new opportunity for an enthusiastic and proactive Senior Civil Engineer who is a good team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who will become a permanent member of the Our International Development Group.
The purpose of this role is to provide technical expertise and project management across a wide range of infrastructure projects which contribute to sustainable development in Latin America, Africa, and South/South-East Asia. The role will also take an active involvement in business development activities.
Project Manager/Technical Lead:
As Project Manager and/or Technical Lead on medium to large sized projects, you will be expected to co-ordinate inputs from team members within Arup, and work closely with key stakeholders to deliver innovative and appropriate solutions, ensuring targets are delivered on time and within budget. This will include:
• Developing and updating project plans
• Co-ordinating the Arup team and external partners to ensure project requirements are fulfilled
• Monitoring progress and controlling expenditure
• Ensuring quality management standards are adhered to
• Applying technical skills to ensure technical rigour is achieved, and preparing project documents to advise on this.
• Liaising with the client to ensure they are fully updated on project progress and challenges, and that expectations are mutually understood.
• Documenting lessons learned for future improvement.
• As a member of the team you will contribute to identifying new business opportunities and positioning Arup to win these. This will include:
• Maintaining relationships with past clients to ensure Arup is informed of potential future work
• Conducting background research on potential clients, and identifying where Arup can provide effective services to them.
• Assisting in the preparation of bid documents, compiling relevant information and preparing sections of the bid.
• Documenting lessons learned from bidding processes
As a project manager, and as a line manager of certain staff, you will be responsible for their performance and development. This will include:
• Providing coaching, direction and advice to staff to ensure their technical development.
• Completing performance reviews to discuss and document progress and challenges, and to make plans for improvement.
• Working with staff to develop personal development plans, and ensuring they are able to follow these, making the most of development opportunities that are available.
Working on a number of projects with different project teams, it is essential that you are adaptable and flexible, and are comfortable working with colleagues from a variety of professional and cultural backgrounds. Confident and composed, you will be equally at home whether on a field-mission, in meetings with clients, or in an office instructing and mentoring your colleagues or supporting others.
Requirements and Skills
• MSc/ MEng in Civil engineering (or equivalent)
• Chartered Engineer (CEng) registered with a professional institution such as the Institution of Civil Engineers (or equivalent).
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• Typically around 5+ years’ experience in civil engineering, ideally with an understanding of the development sector, for example, post-graduate qualification in development and /or experience working in this sector for/ with a development organisation or local/ national government in a developing country.
• Extensive knowledge and technical expertise in civil engineering that may include a variety of skills: site development, site management, water infrastructure, flood risk and drainage, pavement design, civil structures and earthworks
• Understanding of the value of generalist consulting skills (project management, facilitation, interpretation) to ensure the best support is provided to our clients.
• An understanding of cross-cutting issues including sustainability, resilience, climate change, smart cities
• Experience of managing projects, including managing client relationships and managing multi-disciplinary teams, and supporting the outputs and development of junior staff.
• Able to demonstrate strong commercial awareness and understanding of issues which may impact on maintaining effectiveness within a commercial environment.
• Able to manage a complex and varied workload often involving multiple concurrent projects. The ability to prioritise tasks, work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is essential.
• Strong understanding of cross-cultural issues and the challenges of working in emerging economies and fragile contexts.
• The position is UK based but the Group’s work is international and overseas travel will be required.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
• Autocad/Civils 3D design package
• GIS and BIM
• Hydraulic design software
• Ability to speak a second language apart from English, ideally Spanish
Shape your time with us
We are keen to support flexible and part-time working wherever the role allows. If you wish to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your cover letter when you apply.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
If you wish to to find out more about this opportunity before applying, please contact:
Tara Birks - Arup Resourcing Team
Closing Date: 18.06.2018