10 months ago
Senior Energy Consultant (GRE000005)
: United Kingdom-Greater Manchester
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Due to our energy consulting business growth, an opportunity has arisen for a talented Senior Energy Consultant to join our team in Manchester.
You will work on a wide variety of projects including energy distribution, district heating/cooling and renewable energy (biomass, wind and photovoltaic) for a range of clients including local authorities, developers, education establishments, industry and hospitals.
Our projects strive for innovation and quality employing conventional, renewable and emerging technologies as appropriate for our clients. Recent projects include biomass (combined heat and power) CHP projects, gas CHP plants for horticulture involving the capture of CO2, energy market reserves and university/hospital campuses, battery storage, and heat networks.
As a Senior Energy Consultant, you will be responsible for the following:
• Initiating and developing the concept design and delivery of on-site power generation and MV/HV distribution systems, including selection and sizing of plant, developing designs and scheme layouts, costing of solutions and quantifying performance
• Advising on electricity supply procurement, which requires a working knowledge of procurement methods and private wire schemes
• Identifying and assessing funding options for energy projects and investments
• Developing business cases for energy investments from initial concept through to financial close, electricity procurement options, private wire schemes and the design of energy schemes and systems, including development of design drawings, technical specifications and invitation to tender packages
• Evaluation of tender returns (technical and commercial) from contractors to identify value for money
• Integration of thermal and electrical energy generation and distribution infrastructure into building developments
• Working with investors and developers of energy schemes and infrastructure investments to get projects to financial close
• Commercial evaluation and appraisal of a variety of energy systems and schemes
• Financial and technical analysis of energy projects to maximize value for clients
• Sampling of site works during construction, testing and commissioning
• Monitoring the quality of construction in-line with technical specifications, employers requirements and industry standards
• Sampling of site works in-line with project programme
• Evaluating the performance and operation of energy schemes
• Surveying and evaluating existing buildings and energy systems and schemes
• Producing high quality reports and presentations in clear English
• Managing the production of drawings, reports and specifications
• Supervising and coordinating the work of others and coordinating work with engineers of other disciplines
• Client and external team liaison
• Providing technical guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Previous experience of working in a consulting environment, preferably in multi-disciplinary teams
• Degree qualified in a relevant discipline
• Full Member and Chartered Engineer status via an appropriate professional institution, such as the Institution of Engineering and Technology, the Energy Institute, or the Chartered Institution of Building Service Engineers
• Designing district scale energy systems and downstream roles such as procurement adviser and Technical Advisor/Owner’s Engineer
• Undertaking qualitative and quantitative analysis of energy data and trends
• Leading technical consulting projects including, energy infrastructure feasibility studies and portfolio or area energy strategies
• Energy Masterplanning at an estate, city, regional and national scale
• Advising public and private sector clients on options, risks and appropriate actions to make choices and mitigate risks
• Researching innovative low carbon energy systems and other topics related to energy, cities, resilience and climate change
• Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
• Exceptional planning, organizational and time management skills
• Ability to effectively delegate work, manage staff and mentor junior engineers
• Strong commercial awareness, together with an interest in economics, as well as engineering
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• MV and HV infrastructure design, such as private networks, power generation connections and renewables connections
• Energy procurement (Tender Package Development, Employers Requirements, Technical Specifications)
• Energy system operations
• Renewable energy field (solar photovoltaic, biomass, wind power)
• Developing business cases for energy investments and infrastructure refurbishments
• Business development – able to quickly develop successful client relationships
• Up-to-date knowledge of developments and trends in the electricity distribution and energy sectors
• Knowledge of current UK energy markets and regulations, such as Electricity Procurement, Part L, the Feed-in tariff, RHI, Contracts for Difference, etc.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.