6 months ago
Senior Engineer - Energy (LON0000MT)
: United Kingdom-London-London
Senior Engineer (Energy) – London
Would you like to join our building engineering team in London? We work on a variety of exciting projects, in sectors ranging from industry, healthcare, residential, commercial and financial services. both in the UK and internationally.
Recent projects include:
• Working in the Project Management Office for an Energy Services Company
• Acting as the Owner’s Engineer for a CHP plant and district heating network
• Designing a river source district heating scheme for a currently decentralised campus
• Undertaking an energy strategy on a large brownfield University campus, ensuring our client makes the right strategic choices for energy provision
Based in Arup, London you will:
• Be involved in leading and assisting with the design of energy generation and distribution systems through all stages of a project from energy strategy and feasibility through to site completion;
• Lead multidisciplinary teams in Energy Engineering projects. Responsible for leading the interface with the client, project team and other stakeholders;
• Assess feasibility of medium to large scale energy systems, such as large steam or hot water boilers, heat distribution networks, controls, plant-rooms, thermal storage and fuel storage etc;
• Assist with design and delivery of on-site electricity generation and distribution systems, including selection of prime movers and plant sizing etc;
• Integrate energy generation into building developments;
• Commercially evaluate different energy systems;
• Produce high quality reports in clear English;
• Lead and assist with the production of drawings and specifications;
• Survey and evaluate existing buildings and energy systems;
• Keep up to date with developments in the energy sector;
• Coordinate work with Engineers of other disciplines.
The Energy team is small in size, meaning there will be real opportunity to have an impact on the scope and direction of the team. You will be working in an area which is strategically important for the firm, with Energy being one of the four potential growth sectors. Projects will include the design of new build energy facilities as well as the improvement of existing ones to assist our clients in reducing their energy consumption and environmental impact.
Skills / Experience Required for the Role
• Chartered Engineer
• Have experience in leading and assisting with the design of energy generation and distribution systems through all stages of a project from energy strategy and feasibility through to site completion
• Degree qualified in Mechanical or Energy Engineering, ideally to Masters level
• Commercial awareness and an interest in economics as well as engineering
• Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams
• Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is essential
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
• Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills
• Constantly aspiring to excellence
• Willing to take on new challenges
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
• Proven understanding of: building integrated and utility scale renewables; building energy performance and efficiency standards; regulatory drivers of energy and carbon efficiency.
• Familiarity with and capability to undertake design of energy centres, distribution systems including hot water, steam and chilled water.
• Knowledge of BREEAM & LEED
Arup is an independent firm of Designers, Planners, Engineers, Consultants and Technical Specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape Your Time with Us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to compliment your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
The vacancy is being managed by Samson Barraclough – firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 15th February 2019