about 1 month ago
Senior Mechanical Engineer (CAR00002C)
: United Kingdom-South Glamorgan-Cardiff
Do you enjoy working across multiple projects as part of a collaborative team?
We have an opportunity for an individual to join our team and take a leading role in the delivery of mechanical designs for our water sector clients. Our mechanical engineers apply their specialist skills to a range of water projects covering water and wastewater treatment, bioresources treatment, pumping stations, flood prevention and renewable energy technologies.
You will also have the opportunity to support advisory services such as strategic planning, regulatory advice, asset optimisation, advising on delivery of efficient capital programmes and developing/applying transformational digital solutions.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• Bachelors or Masters degree in mechanical engineering (or similar).
• Chartered or Incorporated member of the IMechE (or equivalent professional institution).
• Excellent knowledge of mechanical equipment used in potable water treatment, wastewater and sludge treatment, and network infrastructure projects.
• Excellent knowledge of closed loop hydraulics and proficient in open channel hydraulics.
• Excellent knowledge of relevant legislation and standards covering topics such as lifting operations and pressure systems.
• Experience of working in multidiscipline design teams.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experienced in writing specifications, reports and technical notes.
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office software including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
• Typically 5+ years’ experience in water or similar process industry.
• Understanding of established water sector biological and chemical treatment processes and awareness of new technology treatment options.
• Knowledge of relevant design tools and techniques such as HAZOP studies.
• Understanding of the requirements for working in confined spaces. May have training in confined space entry.
• Knowledge of ATEX / DSEAR / potentially explosive atmospheres.
• Experience of leading mechanical design teams.
• Experience of project management.
• Experience of contract management using the NEC form of contract.
• Knowledge of CDM Regulations.
• Knowledge of CAD software for creating P&IDs, 2D and 3D designs, and understanding of how this is used in the BIM environment.
• Knowledge of whole life cost methodologies.
• Mentoring of junior engineers.
• Full UK driving licence.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain the following:
• CSCS card
• National water hygiene training
The successful candidate may be required to obtain the following security clearances:
• Basic Clearance
• P4 Pass
• National Security vetting
• Scottish Disclosure
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical
specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a
positive difference in the world.
We are keen to support flexible and part-time working wherever the role allows. If you wish to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your cover letter when you apply.
Your Benefits and Rewards
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our
sector. Access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as
extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits. Permanent employees are eligible
for the Global Profit Share scheme
If you would like to “Shape a better world” then please apply