5 months ago
Senior Safety and Reliability Engineer (LON0000GA)
: United Kingdom-London-London
Arup is an independent, international firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we aim to shape a better world. As a wholly independent organisation, we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees and their dependants: with no shareholders or external investors we determine our own business priorities and direction.
About our Risk Engineering team…
Our people are truly at the centre of our success and Arup’s risk engineers have been involved in providing risk analysis on some of the most exciting built environment projects in the world. To continue to build on this success, we have created a unique and exciting opportunity in Arup’s London offices for a Safety & Reliability Engineer to join our firm.
Coming from a traditional process safety, risk and reliability background, the ideal candidate will be highly-skilled in safety design principles, use of effective process safety management and conducting qualitative and quantitative hazard analysis but have a keen interest in environmentally sustainable ‘green and clean’ energy sources to support the reduction of carbon missions and pollution. This is an opportunity to take existing skills and experience from a conventional process safety, risk and reliability environment and use these to develop Arup’s capability in sustainable energy. This is a unique offering to add value to an emerging area of focus for Arup and be a cornerstone in the Firm’s aspirations to support the renewable and more sustainable side of the energy industry.
You will make an impact in this role by…
• Supporting the wider team in engineering safety management, conducting qualitative and quantitative risk and hazard assessments across a number of major hazard industries (such as gas conveyance, major hazard pipelines, railways and chemical installations)
• Working in coordination with a multi-disciplinary design team of architects, engineers, cost consultants and project managers to integrate our design solutions into the building and infrastructure design
• Understanding the client’s business, identifying the risks in a structured and consistent manner whilst working very closely with the client to mitigate and manage these risks
• Demonstrating an exemplary standard of technical knowledge in safety and reliability
• Utilising strong skills in written, verbal and sketch communication
• Being collaborative in your approach but able to work independently
• Having a thorough understanding of the role of a design engineer, Mechanical, Electrical and Public Health (MEP) engineering design, first-principles design and risk-based design frameworks
To achieve in this role, you are likely to have…
• Process safety, risk and reliability engineering experience from the Oil and Gas, petrochemicals, chemicals and pharmaceutical industries
• Accredited Chartered Engineer with membership of a relevant professional body
• Typically around 5 years or more experience in a Process Safety/Risk field
• Engineering degree (Masters level Engineering Science, Chemical Engineering, Process, Safety and Reliability Engineering), with a minimum 2:1/60% or higher
• Knowledge of Process Safety Management, HAZID & HAZOP studies, system engineering, Safety Integrity Level (SIL) / Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) studies, Reliability, Availability and Maintainability (RAM) studies of safety/availability critical systems
• Must have a working knowledge and able to develop hazard analysis modelling of flammable, fire, explosion and toxic hazards; and risk models such as Reliability Block Diagrams, Fault Trees and Event Trees analysis
• Eligibility for UK Security Clearance
In addition to the above mentioned technical capabilities, we are looking for an individual with strong client engagement skills who can work confidently in an advisory capacity. The role holder will work very closely with our clients and have involvement in business development, bids, proposals and budget management.
We are looking for an innovative risk specialist who is experienced in successfully challenging and offering pioneering solutions to their clients, priding themselves on adding extra value.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to compliment your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you?? Whether you’re a parent, a Carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
John Fox is managing the recruitment of this role and can be reached at John.Fox@arup.com.
Arup. Shaping a better world.