20 days ago
Senior Structural Engineer - International Development (LON0000DL)
: United Kingdom-London
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation, we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees and their dependants, with no shareholders or external investors to determine our own business priorities and direction.
Arup’s International Development team works exclusively with organisations committed to improving social well-being and reducing vulnerability; mostly in developing countries. Our clients and partners include international donors, non-governmental agencies and foundations. Our current projects span Latin America, Europe, USA, sub-Saharan Africa, S/SE Asia and the Pacific Islands.
Our work embraces urban development and sustainable infrastructure, with a strong focus on the impacts on climate change and contribution to socio-economic development. This gives you the opportunity to lead projects which will improve the lives of people including:
• infrastructure resilience;
• urban resilience;
• urban health;
• child-friendly cities;
• post-disaster reconstruction;
• Social infrastructure (safer schools and health facilities);
• essential services including; water/sanitation
• renewable energy;
• low income housing.
Our approach focusses on harnessing Arup’s skills and networks to provide technical expertise and practical solutions which address the complex critical challenges posed by urbanisation, poverty and climate change. In doing so, we strive to:
• enhance the sustainability and resilience of communities, particularly in developing countries;
• strengthen the technical and strategic capacity of our partners;
• place sustainability and resilience at the centre of development practice;
• create and share knowledge, tools and approaches which improve development practice; and,
• demonstrate that social value can be the heart of business.
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and proactive senior consultant with Structural engineering expertise, who has strong leadership and management skills and excellent communication and interpersonal skills who will play a critical role in the future growth and development of the team.
You will be primarily responsible as a project manager for Arup’s role on two large, multiyear, multi partner, and education infrastructure projects in Nepal. Furthermore, you will have a role in developing the consultancy on social infrastructure programmes focussing on resilience and/or sustainable outcomes.
Your expertise will be essential in ensuring the continued success and growth of the team through a combination of technical, project management, and business development activities.
You will be UK based in our vibrant London offices and because the Group’s work is international, you will travel overseas extensively in this role (up to 40% max). One of the projects in Nepal may require you to be based in Nepal for 3-6months in the first year.
As a key member of the growing London-based International Development group your expertise will be essential in ensuring the continued success and growth of the team through a combination of technical and project management and business development activities.
Responsible as Arup Project Manager and Technical Lead on two large multi-year, multi-partner education infrastructure projects in Nepal and be accountable to the Project Director. You will be expected to co-ordinate inputs from many different people/specialists within Arup, and work closely with key stakeholders to deliver innovative and appropriate solutions which exceed expectations, within tight budgets and timescales, including:
• Monitoring budgets and controlling expenditure using Arup’s financial systems
• Ensuring Arup Management Systems procedures are adhered to
• Allocating tasks to members of the team and monitoring progress
• Co-ordinating inputs from others in Arup and ensure a high quality output
• Using technical skills on projects and authoring official project documents (for internal or external use)
• Responsible for checking the quality and accuracy of own and others’ work, works under minimal supervision
• Manages own time and others in order to meet project deadlines and deliverables. Ability to juggle many different conflicting demands and priorities
• Responsible for contributing to the business development of the Group
• Assisting in the preparation of marketing information and preparation of bid documents through background research and compiling relevant project experience, cvs etc.
• Predicting and planning future resources in setting up new projects and projects plans
• Maintaining a contact database of clients, collaborators and data sources and references as resources
• Capturing and disseminating best practice guidance and learning internally and externally. This will include representing the team/group/profession/discipline at external meetings
• Responsible for the performance and development of others
• Providing technical expertise in sustainable infrastructure and development that you will pass on to team members and supervise such work ensuring excellent solutions and recommendations are delivered to our clients/partners and the team skills are developed in the process
• Providing guidance, training and motivational and directional feedback
As this role is critical to the continued success and growth of our business, it is essential that you are a naturally supportive individual who is highly motivated and proactive and demonstrates an excellent attention to detail combined with commercial acumen. Confident and composed, you will be equally at home whether on a field-mission, in meetings with clients, or in an office instructing and mentoring your colleagues or supporting others. As a flexible, adaptable individual you will be comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams with colleagues from a wide variety of professional and cultural backgrounds.
• Masters degree in Civil or Structural Engineering (or equivalent)
• Professional qualification and registration with a relevant professional institution.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
• Extensive experience in sustainable infrastructure design with a good understanding of the development sector, for example, post-graduate qualification in development and /or experience working in this sector for/ with a development organisation or local/ national government in a developing country.
• Extensive knowledge and technical expertise in structural engineering, that may include a variety of skills including, building design in natural hazard environments (seismic, wind ,flooding etc.), materials and building construction including vernacular materials, materials, water supply, flood risk and drainage, energy, civil structures, governance, environment; and, the ability to integrate the contributions from other disciplines.
• Excellent understanding and interest in materials and building construction including vernacular materials.
• An understanding and interest in cross-cutting issues including sustainability, disaster risk reduction, resilience and climate change.
• Excellent technical skills in your specialised area, yet realise the value of generalist consulting skills and work to advance your generalist skills (project management, facilitation, interpretation) to ensure the best support is provided to our clients.
• Be able to independently undertake project analyses and report on results.
• Strategic thinker with strong team working and leadership skills, with experience contributing to creative and appropriate solutions in wide-ranging contexts;
• Experience in the effective technical supervision and development of junior members of the team.
• Experience of managing projects and multi-disciplinary project teams
• Able to demonstrate strong commercial awareness.
• Understanding of “customer” needs (both internal and external) and issues which may impact on maintaining effectiveness within a commercial environment.
• Experience of managing client relationships and is able to quickly develop and maintain successful client and team relationships.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in cross-cultural environments; ability to speak other languages is beneficial.
• A strong ability to communicate through sketching, drawing, presentations and in writing.
• Able to manage a complex and varied workload often involving multiple concurrent projects. The ability to prioritise tasks, work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is essential.
• The position is UK based but the Group’s work is international and significant overseas travel will be required. One of the projects in Nepal may require you to be based in Nepal for 3-6months in the first year.
Desirable skills and knowledge
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc), Adobe Suite (In-design, Illustrator), GIS, BIM
• Ability to speak other languages
Shape your time with us
We are keen to support flexible and part-time working wherever the role allows. If you wish to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your cover letter when you apply.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent and specific term staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. Although specific-term employees cannot access the firm’s Flexible Benefit scheme, you will benefit from receiving the grade-related flex fund as additional cash.
In addition specific term employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
If you wish to find out more about this opportunity before applying, please contact:
Chris Norvall - Arup Resourcing Team
Closing Date: 18.05.2018