6 months ago
Senior Technical Due Diligence Consultant - Nuclear Energy (LON0000NV)
: United Kingdom-London-London
: Management Consultancy
We are an independent firm of designers,
planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad
range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference
in the world.
Joining as a senior consultant in the Business Investors Advisory (BIA) team, will give you immediate responsibility and exposure to clients. You will work alongside Arup’s BIA team and technical specialists to help provide investor-focused advice on potential acquisitions of infrastructure assets and on the development of complex infrastructure projects. This may include working with HMG or an infrastructure fund who are interested in acquiring infrastructure assets in the transport, energy and social infrastructure sectors.
Your role will be to quickly understand the assets and highlight any key technical or commercial risk/ opportunities that could impact the business plan or the project’s schedule and costs. This could include identifying scheduling issues on a Nuclear Power Plant project or opportunities to reduce costs by suggesting headcount reductions or an improvement to the IT and asset management systems/ procedures. The job will essentially involve understanding the technical and commercial elements of a business or project and articulating their impact to a potential investor (who will have limited technical understanding) or sponsors.
Our complex infrastructure projects can be either short or medium-term projects from 4 weeks to a number of years. In a year you can work on up to 12 different projects across a variety of industries (renewable energy, transport, oil & gas, digital, social infrastructure, etc.) giving you exposure to a number of different projects and clients. Our projects our fast-paced and provide you with opportunities to develop quickly whilst gaining a range of experience.
Your role will be to assimilate large amounts of information and to identify what the material risks/ opportunities to investors are and to present them in a way in which our clients are able to understand the impact on the business plan. You will be required to interface with the client directly as well as provide technical/ commercial inputs to other advisors in the process.
You will work closely with BIA team members as well as technical specialists across Arup globally. Given the nature of the job, you will interact directly with senior management from the businesses and get exposure as to how these businesses are operated whilst also gaining an understanding of what the key drivers are.
Our role typically requires us to undertake site visits to the businesses in order to conduct a visual assessment on the assets as well as discuss the asset management strategy and potential technical risks with Management - hence you will be given opportunities to travel within Europe and Globally.
Requirements and skills
Whilst no particular background is required for this job (i.e. do not need to be a technical expert or have a financial background), the candidate will be required to:
• Having achieved (or being in the process of achieving) Chartered Status in Engineering or a financial/accounting discipline (in which case a technical university education is a must).
• Have experience in the Nuclear Industry and/or the management and construction of large scale infrastructure projects.
• Have a willingness to learn – you will not be expected to be an expert before joining however you will be expected to learn on the job and adapt to each challenge as it comes. We typically are required to fast understand the drivers of a business and identify where the key risks are.
• Adaptable – you will need to be adaptable and flexible as “curve balls” are common in our projects with clients asking challenging questions with short time lines. No two jobs will be the same.
• Confident – you will be exposed to real responsibility early on in your career and will need to be able to present findings and discuss with clients
• Open-minded – the job, and the BIA team in general, is an environment without a rigid structure and allows individuals to pursue whatever career direction they wish. Whilst you will be given support you will have the opportunity to work in a number of different sectors and with different teams.
In terms of experience and operational skills, you will need to typically have over 4 years’ experience of working as an engineer or a consultant and will need to be prepared to learn how to use excel efficiently. You will not require any other IT related skills.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Closing date for applications - 31st March