16 days ago
Senior Urban Consultant, International Development (4 months parental cover) (LON00009C)
: United Kingdom-London-London
: Town Planning
This role is for parental cover for 4 months with the possibility of extending to a permanent role as the Arup International Development Group continues its anticipated growth.
Our International Development group works exclusively with organisations committed to improving social well-being and reducing vulnerability in developing countries. Our clients and partners include international donors, non-governmental agencies and foundations; and, we have on-going projects in Latin America & Caribbean, sub-Saharan Africa, C/S/SE Asia and the Pacific Islands.
Our work embraces urban development and sustainable infrastructure, with a strong focus on the impacts on climate change and contribution to socio-economic development. The current focus areas include; urban resilience, urban health, child-friendly cities, post-disaster reconstruction, safe schools, water/sanitation, renewable energy and low income housing/shelter.
We operate on a not-for-profit basis, harnessing Arup’s skills and networks to provide technical expertise and practical solutions which address critical challenges posed by urbanisation, poverty and climate change or natural disasters. In doing so, we strive to:
• enhance the sustainability and resilience of communities in developing countries;
• strengthen the technical and strategic capacity of our partners;
• place sustainability and resilience at the centre of development practice;
• create and share knowledge, tools and approaches which improve development practice;
• demonstrate that social value can be the heart of business.
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and proactive senior consultant with urban planning expertise, as paternity cover for 4 months, who has strong leadership and management skills who will play a critical role in the future growth and development of the team. The successful candidate will be part of a growing team which offers opportunity for a longer term position.
As a key member of the Cities & Resilience team within the growing London-based International Development group you will be responsible for project delivery (including taking over ongoing projects) across a wide range of sustainable urban development, infrastructure and urban resilience projects in Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, and S/SE Asia. Your expertise will be essential in ensuring the continued success and growth of the team through a combination of technical and project management and business development activities.
You will be UK based in our London office and because the Group’s work is international, you will travel overseas extensively in this role.
As a key member of the Cities & Resilience team within the growing London-based International Development group your expertise will be essential in ensuring the continued success and growth of the team through a combination of technical and project management and business development activities.
Responsible as Project Manager and/or Technical Lead on medium to large sized projects accountable to the Project Director. You will be expected to co-ordinate inputs from many different people/specialists within Arup, and work closely with key stakeholders to deliver innovative and appropriate solutions which exceed expectations, within tight budgets and timescales, including:
• Monitors budgets and controlling expenditure using Arup’s financial systems
• Ensures Arup Management Systems procedures are adhered to.
• Allocates tasks to members of the team and monitor progress.
• Co-ordinates inputs from others in Arup and ensure a high quality output.
• Uses technical skills on projects and authors official project documents (for internal or external use)
• Responsible for checking the quality and accuracy of own and others’ work, works under minimal supervision
• Manages own time and others in order to meet project deadlines and deliverables. Ability to juggle many different conflicting demands and priorities.
Responsible for contributing to the business development of the Group:
• Assists in the preparation of marketing information and preparation of bid documents through background research and compiling relevant project experience, cvs etc.
• Predicts and plans future resources in setting up new projects and projects plans.
• Maintains a contact database of clients, collaborators and data sources and references as resources.
• Captures and disseminates best practice guidance and learning internally and externally. This will include representing the team/group/profession/discipline at external meetings.
Responsible for the performance and development of others:
• Technical expertise in sustainable urban development, urban resilience and infrastructure development that you will pass on to team members and supervise such work ensuring excellent solutions and recommendations are delivered to our clients/partners and the team skills are developed in the process.
• Provide guidance, training and motivational and directional feedback.
As this role is critical to the continued success and growth of our business, it is essential that you are a naturally supportive individual who is highly motivated and proactive and demonstrates an excellent attention to detail combined with commercial acumen. Confident and composed, you will be equally at home whether on a field-mission, in meetings with clients, or in an office instructing and mentoring your colleagues or supporting others. As a flexible, adaptable individual you will be comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams with colleagues from a wide variety of professional and cultural backgrounds.
• Master’s degree in Urban Planning/Design (or equivalent)
• Professional qualification and registration with a relevant professional institution.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• Extensive experience in urban planning with a good understanding of the development sector, for example, post-graduate qualification in development and /or experience working in this sector for/ with a development organisation or local/ national government in a developing country particularly in Africa, Latin America or Asia.
• Extensive knowledge and technical expertise in urban planning that may include a variety of skills including, research, economics, policy/governance, geography, and environment; the ability to integrate the contributions from other disciplines.
• An understanding and interest in cross-cutting issues including resilience, sustainability, disaster risk reduction and climate change.
• Excellent technical skills in your specialised area, yet realise the value of generalist consulting skills and work to advance your generalist skills (project management, facilitation, interpretation) to ensure the best support is provided to our clients.
• Be able to independently undertake project analyses and report on results.
• Strategic thinker with strong team working and leadership skills, with experience contributing to creative and appropriate solutions in wide-ranging contexts;
• Experience in the effective technical supervision and development of junior members of the team.
• Strong experience of managing projects and multi-disciplinary project teams.
• Able to demonstrate strong commercial awareness.
• Understanding of “customer” needs (both internal and external) and issues which may impact on maintaining effectiveness within a commercial environment.
• Experience of managing client relationships and is able to quickly develop and maintain successful client and team relationships.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in cross-cultural environments; ability to speak other languages is beneficial.
• A strong ability to communicate through sketching, drawing, presentations and in writing.
• Able to manage a complex and varied workload often involving multiple concurrent projects. The ability to prioritise tasks, work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is essential.
• The position is UK based but the Group’s work is international and significant overseas travel will be required.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.),
• Adobe Suite (In-design, Illustrator),
• Ability to speak other languages