Our client currently has a vacancy for a Technical Discipline Leader (TDL) to join their team.
The TDL for Ground Engineering provides leadership for the entire technical discipline across the Europe-Africa region.
The Ground Engineering discipline is newly formed, following the merger of their Geotechnical and Land Quality teams. The Ground Engineering discipline is responsible for all aspects of ground investigation, geotechnical engineering, land quality, contamination and remediation. The discipline currently consists of approximastaff.
The TDL for Ground Engineering reports directly to the Head of Engineering and is supported by a number of Regional Discipline Leads (RDLs) to help manage the geographical dispersion of resources across the Europe-Africa region.
The TDL is accountable for overall performance of the Ground Engineering discipline, ensuring that adequate resources and skills are available to support the delivery of our projects and services and that the utilisation of resources achieves internal targets. The TDL will work alongside the discipline's Technical Specialists to ensure that the discipline has excellent technical skills supported with strong processes, procedures and design tools.
It is intended that some of the discipline resources are sourced from Pune, in India, and that the numbers based in their Pune office will continue to grow. The TDL will be responsible for developing and implementing a plan to support that strategy.
Key Role Objectives
1. Take ownership of the technical development of the discipline, ensuring that relevant regional policy and work procedures are developed, implemented and adhered to.
2. Manage the overall utilisation of the discipline, meeting company targets.
3. Appoint and manage Regional Discipline Leads to manage resources in smaller geographic areas.
4. Appoint and manage Technical Specialists to to provide expert service to projects and clients and to continuously develop the technical capability of the discipline.
5. In conjunction with Technical Specialists, Technical Directors and the Knowledge Communities ensure that MWH are on top of all industry and client procedures to continue the MWH brand in technical excellence.
6. Take accountability for the production and maintenance of discipline processes, standards, guides, tools and templates.
7. Take accountability for quality and product excellence within the discipline, working with SHEQual and Project Technical Leaders to ensure project outputs are achieved.
8. Support resource management at strategic level, ensuring that the company has appropriate skills to meet current and future needs. Work closely with Product Line Leaders, Head of Engineering and Resource Manager to manage discipline needs.
9. Take responsibility with regard to performance against agreed technical metrics, ensuring that a continuous improvement plan is in place and has been appropriately cascaded.
10. Hold relevant technical discipline meetings to focus on technical delivery and service.
11. Provide input into projects as a governance reviewer or as a team member where appropriate.
12. Support the production of marketing materials, bids, client presentations and other business development / pursuit stage activities.
13. Review the commercial performance of the discipline (alongside the performance manager) and incorporate findings into the Continuous Improvement Plan.
14. Develop a strong technical network across the region and globally to ensure effective use of global knowledge.
1. Strong leadership abilities, in particular the ability to inspire others to perform at their highest level. Demonstrated through track record of design team or discipline leadership.
2. A strong technical background and experience in the relevant technical discipline but not necessarily to expert level, although chartership to an appropriate professional body is a must.
3. A high degree of passion for driving technical excellence and maintaining the discipline as a high performer especially through delivery of design efficiencies.
4. A mature knowledge network within their discipline
5. Strong relationships built with technical counterparts in client organisations.
6. A proven track record in managing staff utilisation at discipline or business unit level.
7. An ability to develop and implement strategic business development and improvement plans at Business Unit or Discipline Group level.
8. Excellent communication skills at all levels, in particular with clients and the ability to collaborate to achieve multi-disciplinary outcomes.
9. Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage across offices and regions.
10. Strong commercial acumen in ensuring a strong short and long term financial performance.
11. Ability to meet the travel requirements of the role, in particular travel around the UK, Europe, Africa and India
"Due to the high volume of applications we currently receive, we are unable to respond to all candidates. If you do not hear from a Consultant within 5 working days unfortunately you have been unsuccessful on this occasion"