9 months ago
Tree Cutter / Climber
Salary £21,000 - £25,505 depending on skills and experience
Permanent - Full Time Hours
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks forms part of the FTSE-50 energy company, SSE. Our electricity distribution and transmission networks carry electricity to over 3.7 million homes and businesses across Scotland and Central Southern England. Our skilled teams are based right across the regions we serve, from the bustle of West London to the smallest villages in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
SSE Utility Services (SSEUS) are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
We invest millions every year to make sure that our network is in the best condition possible to minimise the risk of power cuts and to ensure the safety of the general public by preventing risk of injury or electrocution. During high winds and storms, trees can strike our equipment and cause power cuts, and so we cut them down or trim them back to keep the lights on. As well as installing the latest technologies and carrying out regular maintenance, we have our in-house tree-cutting team to make sure that trees and vegetation are kept away from our overhead lines and equipment.
Being part of an extensive tree cutting programme, you will help to ensure that during bad weather, trees do not fall on power lines. You will work with a highly skilled team to clear trees and vegetation in proximity to our overhead transmission and distribution network. Working with safety at the forefront of all activities, you will work with your team to evaluate, prepare and carry out tree cutting works on a variety of sites.
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture; similar capacity experience is also considered
- holding experience of working with power lines, and climbing would be highly advantageous
- you will be the ‘outdoorsy’ type, comfortable working outdoors and embracing Scotland’s ever changing weather
- you should already have relevant NPTC certificate units for the use of chainsaws, and a qualification or certificates including NPTC UA would be a bonus, however not essential
- knowledge of the electricity network would be beneficial, however for the right applicant, full training will be provided
- a full, current driving licence is beneficial as travel will be required
- enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities; you may have to work away from home occasionally so this is key
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our future employees;
- high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
Normal working week consists of 45 hours Monday to Friday.
For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
Click the Apply button to submit your application, with a CV to hand, it takes no more than 10 minutes.
Closing date for applications is: 29th December 2017
As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application.